Thursday, February 28, 2013

February Foodie Pen Pals Reveal

The Lean Green Bean


Yes, it's time show what I received on my virgin excursion into Foodie Pen Pals.

My name was given to Jes from Florida, a self-described "baker, inebriation pixie aka bartender, eater of almost everything and a bit of a beer geek." She sent me a VERY detailed questionnaire asking about my likes, dislikes, foodservice experience, hopes, dreams, fears, wishes, musical knowledge, you name it. But, as you know I'm a stickler for research, so I appreciated the effort. And it paid off because look what she sent me:



Truly a nerd pixie package! And reminiscent of the Florida tropics. There was guava paste, cuban coffee, orange blossom honey, Maria cookies and mango jam.

Of course, the first thing I saw sticking up from the box was of that big chunk of Cafe Bustelo, my favorite of coffees. I like it better than all the Sumatran-Hawaiian-Free Trade-Artisinal mixes out there. I admit I squealed a bit.

The jar of homemade mango jam is from her friend, Allison. I opened that up first and it barely made it through the day. Delish!


It's also good on actual bread!

The Goya Maria Cookies and the Conchita Guava Paste were both perfect snack items, in forms that were new to me. Jes wrote in her note that the cookies w/ cream cheese and guava paste side by side with a shot of espresso is "quite the happy!"

At the time I only had quark, which is sort of like cream cheese, so I did assemble a few to try:

I started eating before I remembered to take a picture....



They were perfect with my cup of Bustelo:

What? That's still a cup!

So thank you, Jes, for making my initial foodie pen pal endeavor such a tasty and sweet treat.

I was assigned to send my foodie box to a lovely young women in Ohio named Diane. You can see what she got from me at her website, LifeofDi. (and stay for the rest of her site, too!)

I am definitely signing up for this again! Hit the image at the top of the post to do so as well!


4 comments:

  1. i am so happy that you liked everything :) and thanks for promoting allison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan--The Allison of Allison Jams is Allison Kapner, my younger sister! Phew, I'm glad you liked the jam. Did you know the mangos come from a tree in her backyard?

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. The URL for Allison Jams is http://www.facebook.com/AllisonJams

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, that is too funny! But it's not hard to imagine that all you Kapners are such successful entrepreneurs! That mango jam rocked.

    ReplyDelete