Sunday, March 10, 2013

Truly a coffee buzz

"I never have been afraid of the dietitians or the infant-feeding experts or any of those people. It's the people who take care of my brain babies,the librarians and the editors, of whom I always have been afraid. The parents of a real baby have something to say about things. They can take the baby out of the hospital if they want to, and kill it with kindness if they want to. However, once the father of a paper has put it in the hands of the librarians and editors, the father has little to say and all sorts of excrescences are going to be cut off of that squalling paper whether or no-and some of them were such pretty excrescences." 

Charles H. Mayo (yes, THAT Charles H. Mayo) speaking to a gathering of medical librarians.

Ah, Librarian love! We do live for these pieces of appreciation, although Dr. Mayo was speaking a library conference and they rarely invite keynote speakers who would dis the profession. 

(Although saying you're afraid of us isn't exactly a compliment. So maybe dietitians win this round again!)

Still, it's nice to see some connection and appreciation between the fields of health and information. I'd like to think that it's my ability to parse that health-info combo that has helped me in my journey towards a healthy weight and diet. 

Until I find out that something I love really is bad for you: 

Too Much Coffee Man copyright by Shannon Wheeler
Yes, I like coffee. A lot. I function on caffeine. While other vices have gone (or greatly lessened), my coffee and I are never to be parted. Now, I know that there are many studies that show large caffeine intake can negatively affect insulin levels, thereby preventing effective weight loss. Is my coffee ingestion preventing me from truly experiencing the Ultra-Streamlined Ska Librarian lifestyle?

It's possible, but we all know that a good researcher can find studies to back their own beliefs! (Remember that history wasn't written by the winner, it was written by whoever was lucky enough not to have their writing destroyed). So, I can take some hope in this new study that was recently published in Science that caffeine enhanced flora improved memory of pollinating bees. Caffeine is good for bees!


Not that this means it does the same for us. But if it did, would a better memory worth preventing better weight loss? Thankfully I don't have to decide.There's no real connection. We're not bees, adorable and productive as they are. 

I do imagine this memory study will somehow be promoted as something for advertising agencies to use. "New caffeine supplements! Bee approved!"
But it would be false. (Not that stops anyone).

And excess of anything can be bad. The bee study shows that larger amounts of caffeine in the plants produce a level of toxicity, which insects then avoid.

So, can I use the bees to justify my present Streamlined Ska Librarian self? Only if I can remember it!



References:

Beaudoin, Marie-Soleil, Brian Allen, Gillian Mazzetti, Peter J. Sullivan, and Terry E. Graham. “Caffeine Ingestion Impairs Insulin Sensitivity in a Dose-dependent Manner in Both Men and Women.” Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 38, no. 2 (February 2013): 140–147. doi:10.1139/apnm-2012-0201.

Keijzers, Gerben B., Bastiaan E. De Galan, Cees J. Tack, and Paul Smits. “Caffeine Can Decrease Insulin Sensitivity in Humans.” Diabetes Care 25, no. 2 (February 1, 2002): 364–369. doi:10.2337/diacare.25.2.364.

Mayo, Charles H. “LIBRARIANS, DIETITIANS AND FARMERS: REMARKS AT THE ROCHESTER LUNCHEON *.” Bulletin of the Medical Library Association 25, no. 1–2 (September 1936): 73.

Petrie, Heather J., Sara E. Chown, Laura M. Belfie, Alison M. Duncan, Drew H. McLaren, Julie A. Conquer, and Terry E. Graham. “Caffeine Ingestion Increases the Insulin Response to an Oral-glucose-tolerance Test in Obese Men Before and After Weight Loss.” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 80, no. 1 (July 1, 2004): 22–28.

Wright, G. A., D. D. Baker, M. J. Palmer, D. Stabler, J. A. Mustard, E. F. Power, A. M. Borland, and P. C. Stevenson. “Caffeine in Floral Nectar Enhances a Pollinator’s Memory of Reward.” Science 339, no. 6124 (March 8, 2013): 1202–1204. doi:10.1126/science.1228806.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment