Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sometimes a swift kick...

Definition of a bad day:


Via Getty Images


It's been a frustrating week or so, even if this is the farthest the NY Rangers have come in 20 years. Still, not the way you want to spend a weekend, seeing this happen.

But if anything, it's sort of become my new "clickable moment" or perhaps a re-ignition of my old one. It's time to take stock of what I'm doing and smack myself in the tuchas to get back on it. In a way, the past few months have been filled with a quite a few "on hold" plans and events, all unresolved, which admittedly took away from my laser-like focus of the Streamlined Ska Librarian lifestyle. And now they've all ended in a somewhat disappointing way. So, the Rangers loss is sort of the symbolic culmination of all that stuff.

You can see my blog entries dropped off, too. And while I can say that my food choices weren't always great, it was definitely the drop in intense exercise that really dragged me down. And a lot of that was due to the very cheap gym to which I belong. The final straw was going three days with some missing dumbbells, thereby preventing a decent workout. (It's hard to do chest presses with only one weight .. and the bench presses were not there). Oh, and the fact that there was no airflow in this basement gym, which led to mold and mildew growth. And the boxing bag broke. Hat trick of gym hell. 

It was time to go.

So I've bitten the bullet and rejoined the expensive gym. It is a financial sacrifice? Yes. Do I think it's worth it? Most definitely.

As I've said many times before, I know what I need to stay in Streamlined mode. And that, sadly, does cost something. Or at least  it requires more of a real gym. Some other life amenities will have to go, but that's ok, I'm willing to make that decision.

As I said in previous posts, exercise makes me happy...the inability to do said exercise does not. I have become a picky gym bunny. Who knew?

Well, I did, actually.

And already, I just feel better. Because I know I will be the intense happy guy I can be, the guy who didn't get a chance to really appear for the past 6 months. And I also know, I'm doing it for me. Not because I'm back in Retro Ska Librarian body, cuz I'm not there yet, but rather because I can see Retro mindset creeping up if I don't.And that ain't good

It brings to mind a recent post from RD Aaron Flores. (Always a dietitian work into the posts!) I'm not going to say I agree with everything he says, but the mindset is there. You have to comfortable knowing what works for you and be happy in your journey to get where you want to go health-wise.

And my taking stock meant that swift kick is upon me.

No scholarly references this time, just a shout out the Rangers. You still inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment